NOAA’s Weather Program Office (WPO) is soliciting proposals for four grant competitions valued at approximately $13.5 million per year for the following competitions:
- Innovations for Community Modeling
- Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBES)
- Verification of the Origins of Rotation in Tornadoes Experiment in the United States (VORTEX-USA; inclusive of VORTEX-Southeast).
Projects should focus on advancing science and technology from research innovations to transitionable outputs or prototype products that NOAA or external partners could further develop into practical applications and operations.
In alignment with the Weather Forecasting and Innovation Act of 2017 (Public Law 115-25), this funding opportunity will allow NOAA to support new weather, water, and earth system observing and forecasting applications, including improved analysis techniques, better statistical or dynamic forecast models and techniques, and communication of that information to better inform the public. In particular, projects are sought that are responsive to the Priorities articulated in the Science Advisory Board’s 2021 Priorities for Weather Research Report.
The deadlines are as follows:
- Letters of Intent must be submitted by 5pm ET on Thurs Sept 15, 2022.
- Full applications must be received by 5pm ET on Thurs Nov 17, 2022.
- Award decisions are expected in April 2023.