The Weather Research and Forecasting Innovation Act of 2017 (WRFIA) instructs NOAA to prioritize improving weather data, modeling, computing, forecasting and warnings for the protection of life and property and for the enhancement of the national economy. The National Integrated Drought Information System Reauthorization Act of 2018 instructs NOAA to establish the Earth Prediction Innovation Center (EPIC) to accelerate community-developed scientific and technological enhancements into the operational applications for numerical weather prediction (NWP).
The WRFIA states: EPIC will advance weather modeling skill, reclaiming and maintaining international leadership in the area of Numerical Weather Prediction, and improving Research to Operations (R2O) by:
- Leveraging the weather enterprise to provide expertise on removing barriers to improving NWP;
- Enabling scientists and engineers to effectively collaborate in areas important for improving operational global NWP skill, including model development, data assimilation techniques, system architecture integration, and computational efficiencies;
- Strengthening NOAA’s ability to undertake research projects in pursuit of substantial advancements in weather forecast skill;
- Utilizing and leveraging existing resources across NOAA’s enterprise; and
- Creating a community global weather research modeling system.